Life at sea presents many challenges, and finding (and keeping) love is one of the biggest. Heartwreck: Romantic Disasters at Sea is a collection of true and semi-true stories about love gone wrong on the high seas, curated by Melanie Neale, Emily Greenberg, and Laureen Hudson, and published under our Unruly Voices imprint.
Rough weather, small spaces, long days in the boatyard, and an eclectic mix of personalities make personal relationships among the seafaring community challenging and rife with struggles. We’re looking for personal essays and memoir/creative nonfiction pieces about your experiences. Be real, be honest, be funny, be brave. Maybe a relationship fell apart and you got stuck with a boat you didn’t think you wanted. Maybe, after five days at sea with a partner and five months to go, you realized you can’t possibly live with that person on a small boat. Whatever the disaster, if it happened on or around boats, we want to read about it.
We are seeking submissions for this anthology. Our targeted release date is October 2020. Please carefully read the submission guidelines, as we will only consider submissions that follow the guidelines.
|Open for Submissions:||January 1, 2020 through July 30, 2020|
|Expected Publication:||October 2020|
|Story Length:||2,000 – 5,000 words|
|Payment:||0.02 per word + two (2) contributor copies|
You can find our general submission guidelines on our Submissions page.
Please submit your complete story in standard manuscript form in digital format (DOCX, RTF, or ODT) to submissions (at) unrulyvoices.com. (If you want bonus points, also attach a MOBI file; that will help our editorial team be able to read it faster.)
Please include “Heartwreck Anthology” in the subject line of your submission.
Include the following in your cover letter/email:
- Title of your story
- Your real name
- Your physical mail address
- Your preferred email address
- Approximate word count
- Your story can be from whatever genre best fits its theme. However, we are not looking for erotica or stories that contain excessive gore or violence.
- No simultaneous submissions, please. You may submit more than one story, but please send each one as a separate submission.
- We will accept stories that have been previously published. If your story has been published before, please provide proof that you hold the current publishing rights for it when you submit your manuscript.
- We highly recommend that you change any names based on real people in your story to protect the innocent — and to prevent possible further harassment by the guilty.
Among the tales in this collection to make you think, question, and wonder …
- A rescue mission in a combat zone on a hostile planet becomes something more
- A young girl, searching for the parents who abandoned her, discovers that some answers only lead to more questions
- A young boy learns that it takes more than superpowers to become a hero
- A man who had led a less-than-perfect life finds out that it’s never too late for redemption
- A dying Afghanistan veteran’s last moments of his life are not what he expected them to be
- And, sometimes, on the night before Christmas, it is not always a silent night
Explore the past, future, and triumphs of the human soul.
We are thrilled to announce the immediate availability of Goddess Daughter (Book Two of the Goddess Rising Trilogy) by Jay Hartlove.
How far can you genetically alter someone before she becomes someone else … before she loses her soul?
A breakthrough in human cloning leads to unspeakable evil.
Psychiatrist Sanantha Mauwad is back, helping a world leading geneticist recover a four-month memory gap in which his wife was killed and his daughter was left in a coma. But, as she unravels the mystery, she finds nothing and no one are as they appear.
Cutting-edge science and ancient cults collide in this tale of too much power driven by too much passion.
Goddess Daughter (Book Two of the Goddess Rising Trilogy) is available in hardcover, trade paperback, and digital editions. Signed editions are also available.
We are extremely pleased to be able to announce the immediate availability of our long-awaited anthology Corporate Catharsis.
We’ve all been there: standing behind a desk or a counter for ridiculously long hours, letting the movie of our imagination roll behind our eyes. We’re certain that you can, far too easily, find inspiration from your workplace. Magic, mayhem, revenge — and, yes, perhaps even redemption — can all be found here.
Corporate Catharsis is the anthology we all need — one that can help us survive our corporate servitude with our hearts and souls intact.
With stories by J Dark, Laureen Hudson, L. A. Jacob, Sophie Kearing, Andrea Monticue, Stephen Pimentel, Steven Radecki, Bob Schoonover, Vern Smith, Steve Soult, Ryan Southwick, and Kimberley Wall.
Corporate Catharsis is available in hardcover, trade paperback, and digital editions.
We are very pleased to announce the immediate availability of the audio edition of Goddess Chosen (Book One of the Goddess Rising Trilogy) by Jay Hartlove.
The man who would beat the devil isn’t a hero, but a ruthless madman.
Running from his dark past, former Duvalier hit man Charles Redmond is forced to take sides in a battle that has been raging since Exodus: between a power-mad magician named Silas Alverado and Sammael, the Demon Prince of Liars.
When Charles’ beloved Voodou is threatened with extinction, he must wager his life between pure evil and the man who could destroy the world.
Charles’ psychiatrist, Sanantha Mauwad, steps into this maelstrom of nightmares, violence and insanity to help Charles find his strength. She tries to save Charles’ mind, but can she save his soul?
Narrated by Trevor Wilson, the audio edition of Goddess Chosen (Book One of the Goddess Rising Trilogy) is available on Audible, Amazon, and iTunes.