Life at sea presents many challenges, and finding (and keeping) love is one of the biggest. Heartwreck: Romantic Disasters at Sea is a collection of true and semi-true stories about love gone wrong on the high seas, curated by Melanie Neale, Emily Greenberg, and Laureen Hudson, and published under our Unruly Voices imprint.
Rough weather, small spaces, long days in the boatyard, and an eclectic mix of personalities make personal relationships among the seafaring community challenging and rife with struggles. We’re looking for personal essays and memoir/creative nonfiction pieces about your experiences. Be real, be honest, be funny, be brave. Maybe a relationship fell apart and you got stuck with a boat you didn’t think you wanted. Maybe, after five days at sea with a partner and five months to go, you realized you can’t possibly live with that person on a small boat. Whatever the disaster, if it happened on or around boats, we want to read about it.
We are seeking submissions for this anthology. Our targeted release date is October 2020. Please carefully read the submission guidelines, as we will only consider submissions that follow the guidelines.
|Open for Submissions:||January 1, 2020 through July 30, 2020|
|Expected Publication:||October 2020|
|Story Length:||2,000 – 5,000 words|
|Payment:||0.02 per word + two (2) contributor copies|
You can find our general submission guidelines on our Submissions page.
Please submit your complete story in standard manuscript form in digital format (DOCX, RTF, or ODT) to submissions (at) unrulyvoices.com. (If you want bonus points, also attach a MOBI file; that will help our editorial team be able to read it faster.)
Please include “Heartwreck Anthology” in the subject line of your submission.
Include the following in your cover letter/email:
- Title of your story
- Your real name
- Your physical mail address
- Your preferred email address
- Approximate word count
- Your story can be from whatever genre best fits its theme. However, we are not looking for erotica or stories that contain excessive gore or violence.
- No simultaneous submissions, please. You may submit more than one story, but please send each one as a separate submission.
- We will accept stories that have been previously published. If your story has been published before, please provide proof that you hold the current publishing rights for it when you submit your manuscript.
- We highly recommend that you change any names based on real people in your story to protect the innocent — and to prevent possible further harassment by the guilty.
We will usually try to acknowledge receipt of your manuscript within 72 hours. We’ll also try to let you know whether or not we’re interested in working with you to publish your story within 30 days after that. Both of these periods may vary, though, depending on the number of submissions we have received during that time.
Please don’t contact us about the status of your manuscript unless at least 30 days have passed since we acknowledged receiving it. If you did not receive an acknowledgement, please feel free to contact us.